Karen's Fabric Obsession

Thursday, August 15, 2013

PERSONAL QUILT SHOP HOP

This past weekend, my little cousin Colleen got married to her best friend, Ian.  It was a beautiful outdoor vintage wedding.  I loved witnessing this joyous event, and I got to spend time with family who I haven't seen in years.  The wedding was held in northwestern Washington, and it is normally a six hour drive across the state (without hitting any of that retched Seattle traffic).

So, while on the west side, I decided to take advantage of stopping at a few quilt shops.

FIRST STOP:  Aunt Mary's Quilt Shop in Smokey Point, WA.
I arrived here shortly after they opened.  This is a really cute shop with lots of fabric choices, great displays, lots of quilt samples, and a large open class room. The owner was extremely friendly, and helpful. When I told her I was on my own mini-shop hop, she drug out a map and directed me to other neighboring shops that were open on a Sunday.
 NEXT STOP:  The Quiltmaker's Shoppe in Arlington, WA.
A quaint shop divided by several themed related rooms. At the entrance (besides the cash register and cutting table) you will find all their notions, embroidery kits, and the newest arrival of fabric. Through a doorway to the right, you will find the holiday themed fabric, racks of quilt books, an array of solid fabrics, and pre-cuts. In a small middle section of the shop, you would find a large selection of batiks (which I believe is their specialty). There were two back rooms. One room was devoted to novelty and children fabrics, and the very last room was devoted to their classroom.  The shop was alive with anxious customers purchasing their newest block-of-the-month.  It was a fun place to visit.
LAST STOP: Keepsake Cottage Fabrics in Bothell, WA.  I drove into the little village shopping area, and was pleased I choose this shop as my last stop.  This place was absolutely adorable and inviting.  Outside was all their sale fabric, and a sitting area to rest your tired feet (or patient men waiting on their female companions). Inside the shop were rows and rows of fabric --- almost overwhelming. The bolts of fabric were divided by designers and color themes. My brain was in overdrive that I forgot to take a picture of the inside of the store.
I spent at least a hour browsing the shelves and stacks of fabric bolts trying to find that "perfect" fabric. I took some time to look at most of their quilting books in hopes of finding a new project.  In the end, I only purchased a few yards of Moda's Glamping fabric (as I loved the line when I first saw it at Market).
As I left, I bid a farewell to the "Welcome Committee" outside their shop, and started driving back over the mountains towards home.  It was a very GREAT (world-wind) weekend full of Family, Fabric and Fun!!  
Here is a picture of my finished pillow case that I made out of fabric I purchased during my own personal quilt shop hop.

No comments: