Karen's Fabric Obsession

Monday, November 12, 2012

QUILT MARKET: Favorites

I saved the best for last!  My favorite finds at the Houston Quilt Market.
For some reason, I notice of lot of things made with wool: table toppers, pennants, pin cushions, pillows, tree skirts and even quilts.    I absolutely loved the carrot pincushion with specialty pins.
                                        Wool Applique Pumpkin Penny Mat Wool Candle Mat 

..Sunflowers.
Basically, I was intrigued enough that I purchased some table runner patterns and a small assortment of different colors of wool.  I'm going to see what I can create, but one is confined to the size of the project due to the outrageous cost associated with wool! Cha Ching!  I am going to let my creative juices flow, and let's see what I can create.
There was one quilt at the Market that totally blew me away.   While it did not win any official awards in the show, it won my heart! This quilt is named The Twelve Days of Christmas.  The center of the quilt was a scene of a village in the winter.  It had a church, carolers, ice skaters, snowmen, sleigh rides and decorated Christmas trees.       
Immediately outside the winter scene was a row of snowy trees followed by a display (in the middle gray border) of the 12 days of Christmas:  12 drummers drumming, 11 pipers piping, 10 Lords a-leaping, 9 ladies dancing, 8 maids a-milking, 7 swans a swimming, 6 geese a laying, 5 golden rings, 4 calling birds, 3 french hens, 2 turtle doves, and a partridge in a pear tree!
The dark blue border hosted small appliqued nutcrackers and Santa's surrounded by another forest of snow covered trees.  The quilt was all hand done and absolutely beautiful.
A true masterpiece!   I'm sorry that I did not write down or photograph the artists name, but I recall she was from Japan. 


I purchased two lines of fabric from Moda.  The first due out in the spring was Kansas Trouble's Pleasant Hill
                                    
and, the second line (also due out in the spring) was Primitive Gatherings Snowman Gatherings.
                                    
I plan on making quilt kits out of both of these lines of fabric and here is a preview of the kit for Snowman Gatherings...
I had a great time in Houston.  Looking forward to the next several months when I receive my Market purchases, and begin making kits to sell in my store...www.myfabricobsession.com!

No comments: