Karen's Fabric Obsession

Monday, November 5, 2012

QUILT MARKET: The People We Met

What a great weekend!!  It went fast, but I stuck to my game plan, and came home with new fabric, patterns and ideas.  Best part about the entire weekend is that I got to meet some fabulous and talented people.

The Houston International Quilt Market is the Cream of the Crop. The Best of the Best. The Grand Gala.  Three days of inspiration, creativity and motivation.   
Of course, Linda and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency.  Not only because my son Kenny works for Hyatt (although in Chicago), but because they were one of the host hotels.  I am never disappointed with Hyatt, and their hospitality! We never left the premises except to attend the market (and they even provided free shuttle service to the convention center). 

I am thrilled to share one of my discoveries that is permanently engraved in my brain!  A new love!  A new (or another) obsession! A scrumptious new cocktail in the Lobby Bar at the Hyatt.....Pumpkin Pie Martini!  Yummy!    
                                                   
During our stay at the Hyatt Regency Houston, we met some great (talented) people. We first met Elvira from Chicago, but originally from Germany (http://www.elvirasquiltingservices.com).  Elvira is a long arm quilter, and she and a friend had a quilt on display in the show.  It was absolutely beautiful!  I wish Elvira lived closer, as I could really use her long-arm services.  I might have to hand deliver a quilt top to her on my next trip to Chicago.   
                                                   
I had the pleasure to met Annie and her younger (her words not mine) sister Linda from England (www.anniespatch.com).  I really enjoyed the time I got to visit with these ladies, and I certainly hope to keep in touch. 

And, I met Ferret who is patchwork tutor and long arm quilter (http://www.ferfab.co.uk/blog.php) from London.   Ferret caught my eye at the Quilt Market as she was wearing a long leather cowboy duster coat.  This was not an ordinary coat....it was a piece of art.  

These are just a few of the people I met while in Houston.  The next few postings I will have to share pictures from the market, my purchases, and my inspirations from my quilt show.   Stay tuned!!

No comments: