Karen's Fabric Obsession

Friday, April 12, 2013

CALENDAR QUILTS


Kim Schaefer's Calendar Quilts Booklet

While color coordinating my piles of scraps, I had an epiphany that I purchased Kim Schaefer's Calendar Quilts pattern last year at the spring International Quilt Market.

Instead of continuing to store (hoard) mounds of fabric pieces, I thought I would try and utilize my scraps, and sew one of the calendar months.

Thumbing through the pages of patterns, I decided I would put together something that was bright and cheerful. I wanted to be able to display it immediately and in celebration of Spring! 

The winner.....May!
     


The instructions were very easy to follow.  I was able to collect an assortment of green fabrics for the border, and I had plenty of tans and creams to construct the background.  Within a few hours, I had the entire wall hanging pieced, sewn and fused together.  I spent a few hours over the next week, blanket stitching (in lieu of satin stitching -- personal preference) all the fusible pieces.  I rummaged through my stacks of larger  chunks of leftover fabrics and batting, and sandwiched my quilt top.  I tackled some free motion quilting (basic stippling) and attached the bindings in order to complete the ensemble.  

I am very pleased with my finished project.   I was able to construct this entire piece of art solely with scraps of left over fabrics.  Masterpiece!

I have just the perfect place for it!
I just need to purchase a quilt hanger, so I can properly display it for all to see!

No comments: