Karen's Fabric Obsession

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

CANDIED GINGER

Right after Thanksgiving, I had my mother bring me back a large piece (a little over a pound) of ginger which she is able to pick up for a very reasonable price at a local farmers market in northern California.  Here in the  Northwest we pretty much have to give up our first born or our right arm for a chuck of ginger root.   I really do not understand how you can buy this flavorful spice for $.25/lb. in California, but here at home they charge us (on average) $2.33/lb.  Talk about price gouging!
It's not the prettiest thing, but I love the flavor you get from this robust root.  I use it a lot in my cooking, but this lovely piece is going to be transformed into candied ginger!
I peeled it (or scrapped it using the end of a tablespoon).
I sliced it thin.
I boiled the crap out of it until it was tender.
Then, I candied it until it turned into a luscious and spicy treat!
If you can't find the time to make your own candied ginger, you can buy it pre-made at your local specialty grocery or health food store for about $16.00/lb.  



          CANDIED GINGER
1 lb. ginger root
5 cups water
Approximately 1 lb. sugar

Spray a cooling rack with nonstick spray and set it in a cookie sheet lined with parchment or foil.

Peel the ginger root (with spoon) and slice into 1/8 in. slices using a mandolin.  Place sliced ginger into a 4 qt sauce pan with the water and set over medium high heat.  Cover and cook for approx 35 minutes or until ginger is tender (It took mine 45 minutes this time).

Transfer the ginger into a colander to drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.  Weight the ginger and measure out an equal amount of sugar.  Return the ginger and 1/4 cup of ginger water to the pan and add the sugar.  Set over medium high heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.  Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar syrup looks dry, has almost evaporated and begins to crystallize, approximately 20 minutes.  Transfer the ginger immediately to the cooling rack and spread to separate the individual pieces.  Once completely cool, store in airtight container.

No comments: