Wednesday, February 20, 2013


I completed the last block in the American Heritage Quilt!  
I was so excited that I immediately laid out all the blocks and started piecing them together. It did not take long to discover that the quilt top did not look right.  It was not squaring up!  No matter how many times I measured, I was an inch off on one side of the width AND an inch off on one side of the length.  There was no way I was going to sew on the borders until I fixed the problem.  I have put in a lot of time and energy into this kit, and I want it to be perfect. Thank goodness for seam rippers.  I disassembled the quilt top and measured each one of the blocks for accuracy; and by the fifth block, I found the culprit.  Block IV!
Lord knows what my mental state of mind was when I assembled this block, but I can tell you that it was put together while I was recovering from a broken leg AND probably on strong pain medication.  Word of advise:  Do not operate machinery (including sewing machines) when using strong pain medication!

After several hours of ripping and sewing, I fixed the problem and reassembled the quilt top. I am just about finished sewing on the borders, but I am not going to share until the top is complete!  Sew....stay tuned!      

No comments: