Wednesday, April 24, 2013

QUILTING BEE: Work in Progress

We were busy bees...

Linda worked on completing her "Saddle Blanket" quilt top.   She had the blocks completed when we met, but spent her time sewing the rows together and completing the borders. 
It is now ready to be quilted, and off the the Longarmer.
I started an entire new quilt from scratch.  I purchased some various patterns from the Quilt Market in Houston last fall, and I choose one design that I thought would go with the new line of Kansas Trouble fabric I just received.
So, I cut...
sewed... 
cut again...


until I was able to complete one of blocks.
I was gun-ho in getting this entire quilt top completed.  Yeah, right!!  Thank goodness, Linda encouraged me to just put together one block to make sure I liked the way the fabric was pieced.   It took me about four hours to complete one block.  Yes, I said FOUR hours.  I cut, measured, and sewed, but the pieces just would not work.  I was growing frustrated. 

We sat together and brain stormed until we found the problem. It was not Operator Error! There was a misprint in the pattern in cutting one of the colored pieces.  Linda made the correction to the pattern, and I diligently went back to my project.

By the end of the weekend, all I had completed was sewing together 436 flying geese (thank goodness for the Wing Clipper by Deb Tucker --- a must have quilting accessory), and 48 half square triangles.  I definitely need some additional sewing time to make some serious progress on this quilt top.   I only wish we had one more day!  

On our last day in Missoula, we rose to a slight dusting of snow and a promise to each other that we will definitely come back soon.

No comments: