Karen's Fabric Obsession

Friday, October 12, 2012

CHICKEN ENCHILADA SOUP

Burr!!  The cold weather has arrived.  There is nothing better than warming up with a bowl of homemade soup.   Of course, while surfing through Pinterest, I found a recipe of Chicken Enchilada Soup and I had to give it a try.  I wasn't disappointed. I will probably make it again, but next time I might utilize the crock pot (on high for 3-4 hours).

CHICKEN ENCHILADA SOUP

3 cups chicken stock
2 skinless, chicken breast
2 tsp ground cumin (*I added more for additional flavor -- personal preference)
2 tsp chili powder (*I added more for additional flavor -- personal preference)
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
4-6 jalapeno peppers, minced (I omitted, as I'm not a hot spicy lover)
1 green pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups frozen corn (I used roasted corn from Trader Joe's)
1/2 cup tomato paste
8 oz. cotija cheese, crumbled
8 oz. pepper jack cheese, divided
1 cup cilantro, chopped
Tortilla chips

In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, add chicken stock and heat over medium heat.  Add chicken breast, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper.  Simmer about 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked through.  Remove chicken and set aside.  Add tomatoes, jalapenos, bell pepper, onion and garlic to pot. Simmer about 30 minutes, covered until tomatoes have begun to break down. Add black beans, corn and tomato paste and stir to incorporate.  Add cotija cheese and half of the pepper -jack cheese and stir to melt. Return chicken (chopped into bite size pieces) to soup and add cilantro  Cook about 20 more minutes until desired consistency.    I topped my bowl of soup with some sour cream and tortilla chips.  ENJOY.

No comments: